Sunday, March 8, 2009

Kill Your Idols (2004, film)


Swans, DNA, Foetus, Suicide, Flux Information Sciences, James Chance and the Contortions, Sonic Youth, Glenn Branca, Liars, Black Dice etc.

A 2004 documentary about the New York music scene. Especially the short-lived No Wave movement which came into life somewhere along the mid 70s and died in the early-mid 80s. With a comparison to the NY music scene of today (or rather 2002). Which leads to many pretentious rants by the old timers, especially by the oh god so awful Lydia Lunch (also in Teenage Jesus and the Jerks). It's fine though, we still have Michael Gira (Swans) and Arto Lindsay (DNA) to save the film.

Kill Your Idols Part 1

Kill Your Idols Part 2

For those of you interested I will in continuation be posting a series of no wave albums during the next few days.

Related posts
No New York
Swans - Filth
DNA
Flux Information Sciences - Private/Public
Mars
8 Eyed Spy

7 comments:

  1. A film? This was unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would enjoy a series of No-Wave album, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I just don't know what's wrong whit file, they ask for some third part, I downloaded 1 and 1-2 part, and 2 part is missed :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. kill your idols was a stupid film attempting to link the music of buzz-bands like the yeah yeah yeah's with music icons like Live Skull and DNA...which is kinda like attempting to link Charlie Parker w/Al Jolson because the both LOOK black...the music on the record is OK, but I found the premise of the film insulting and preposterous...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dj mojo, maybe, but I still enjoyed the interviews with such people as Michael Gira and Arto Lindsay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for this! I needed it for a paper I'm doing! Your blog totally rules - this is not the first time I've found something amazing on here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. to Anon..Any interview w/Arto or Gira is bound to be interesting, my complaint is with the revisionist, uncouth, adolecent and ultimately INCORRECT connections this film attemts to draw, and to dfltxr, I would say if you wna to get a passing grade on that paper, I'd seek out more reliable resources thank this silly film...

    ReplyDelete